Welcome, Pax Estiscum!

Welcome to my blog, I will attempt to keep this posted with the current goings-on in the Church each day, and respond to what may come my way. Please understand the difference between when I discuss dogma or things that are Church teaching and my personal opinion, which- thank God- is not official Church teaching. I hope to debunk lies, heresies, and mysteries of the Catholic Church and the world we live in. Pray that this may be for His Glory and the furtherment of the Kingdom here on earth that is Holy Mother Church!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Top 25 Theology & Philosophy Booklist

I recently was discussing "good reads" with my Confirmation Sponsor and High School Youth Minister, and realized instead of having to recant what is good to read for growing Christians and why, I thought I might just put it out for all to see.

These are in order of what I feel would help "kick-start" someone into reading theology and philosophy for the first time, or if you have a well-crafted mind and strong prayer life, in short, anyone and everyone. I must stress not to jump ahead (i.e. from 3 to 20) because many of the books lower on the list (from 21 on) must be read under supervision of a spiritual  director and in the confines of an established prayer life; I attempted to read Under The Mercy and realized I wasn't ready to read such saintly material!

1. Prayer Primer by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
2. Prayer For Beginners by Dr. Peter Kreeft
3. The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva
4. Deep Conversion/ Deep Prayer by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
5. Intro To The Devout Life by St. Francis De Sales
6. The Lamb's Supper by Dr. Scott Hahn
7. Deus Caritas Est by Pope Benedict XVI
8. I Believe in Love by Fr. Jean C. J. d'Elbee
9. Happy Are You Poor by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
10. Spirit Of The Liturgy by Pope Benedict XVI
11. Heretics by G. K. Chesterton
12. Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
13. The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton
14. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis
15. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
16. Man and Woman by Dietrich von Hildebrand
17. Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas
18. The Fathers Know Best by Jimmy Akin
19. Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina
20. Problematic Man by Gabriel Marcel
21. Seeking Spiritual Direction by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
22. Confessions by St. Augustine
23. The Evidential Power of Beauty by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
24. Under The Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
25. Transformation in Christ by Dietrich von Hildebrand
26. Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay S.M.
27. The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment