Welcome, Pax Estiscum!

Welcome to my blog, I will attempt to keep this posted with the current goings-on in the Church each day, and respond to what may come my way. Please understand the difference between when I discuss dogma or things that are Church teaching and my personal opinion, which- thank God- is not official Church teaching. I hope to debunk lies, heresies, and mysteries of the Catholic Church and the world we live in. Pray that this may be for His Glory and the furtherment of the Kingdom here on earth that is Holy Mother Church!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

In The Beginning...

Well, this is my first blog post and I spent more time on creating the blog than I thought I would, so this is going to be simple- which is probably for the best!

Today the secular world honors Fathers, yet there is something that I think is like every other "secular day" where it's origins are irrevocably rooted in faith. I don't honestly know the when and why the first "father's day" was inaugurated, but I can tell you easily where it undoubtedly comes from.  The Old Testament clearly in Exodus 20:12 to "Honor your father and your mother, that you may have a long life in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you" and when Christ reiterates the Old Testament in Matthew 15:4 quoting "Whoever curses father or mother shall die". Jesus continues further in Matthew 15, discussing how the Jews had loop-holed this commandment in saying "Whoever says to father or mother, "Any support you might have had from me is dedicated to God, need not honor his father.' You have nullified the word of God for the sake of your tradition".

I think we in this day and age can take much from Christ words in that we too have reversed what the Jesus accused the Jews of; that is, we honor man more readily than our Almighty Father, and do not truly honor man because of our lack of placing honor in our Heavenly Father. The Jews had the right idea- honor God the Father of all most earnestly- but they used it as an excuse to not use the grace from honoring God the Father to honor their own fathers and mothers.

So on this day of taking dad out to lunch, buying him some frivolous immaterial, or whatever is prescribed by society today, we should instead honor all fathers in thanking them, spending meaningful time with them, maybe doing something for them... and especially, pray for them!

And remember that this day, and more importantly, the fourth commandment applies to our earthly, spiritual fathers in the ministry of the priesthood... so thank your priest, pray for him, honor him in word and deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment